Buzzed Bands Podcast, Ep. 2 w/ Cold Blood Club

Friday, October 13, 2006

A Place To Bury Strangers & Read Yellow 10/12

Last night I took a trip out to Williamsburg to see A Place To Bury Strangers & Read Yellow at Northsix. Despite the fact that a coworker of mine manages APTBS this was my first time actually catching them. The other band performing was The Static Age - who I knew nothing about.

I got to Northsix at 9PM on the dot. I was told that Read Yellow would be going on exactly at 9 so I rushed over. Of course when I got inside the band was sitting at the bar having drinks but it wasn't a big deal. I grabbed a beer and shot the shit with my homeboy Su from World's Fair for a while.

After about 15 minutes or so Read Yellow hit the stage. I finished up my beer and headed up front for some pics. As was the case last time, Read Yellow was pretty damn good. As was the case last time, no one seemed to fucking care. I really don't get it - they're good and they play with a ton of energy (except the chick who might actually be asleep during their shows). There just weren't many people there and the few who showed up didn't seem all that interested.

Poor Read Yellow, I wish people would move around for you. I think it might be the bands you play with. You need to stop with the indie type bands and start playing with some post-hardcore and punk bands - they might get you.

After the set I decided $4 was too damn much for a PBR so I walked up about a block to Anytime (best tater tots ever!) and sucked down a $1 PBR. When I finished I went back to Northsix to see what The Static Age was all about. I lasted about 4 songs and then I got really sick of them and headed back to Anytime for round 2 of buck PBRs.

While I was there I got a call from my friend (and BSC album review guy) Tom. He was waiting for me at Northsix so back I went. As soon as I walked in I told him I was just at Anytime getting drunk for cheap. He liked my gameplan so we went back yet again while APTBS set up their shit.

After round three of the cheap shit it was back (again) to Northsix. We walked in just as A Place To Bury Strangers was about to go on. When the music started the lights dropped down to damn near pitch black levels. Then the projector started and the screen lit up behind the band. This would be the only light on stage all night. Which was cool because I got to test out my night time feature on the new camera - the results of which were kinda cool.

The vocals for APTBS were horribly muddy. I don't know if it was the dudes voice or the EQ but it sounded bad. Aside from that little set back I enjoyed the set they played. The music had that experimental thing going on but they still had song structure. The crowd was at least twice what Read Yellow had but they still were just standing there staring.

Towards the end of the set some people in masks came out and started banging on a floor tom set up. It had a very tribal effect which complimented the band well. Then all hell broke loose - I think one of the band members lifted and threw a monitor. At least that's what it looks like in one of the pictures I snapped.

After the show we decided to head into Manhattan for a party. Unfortunately we missed the last god damn train to the city and had to hunt down a cab. This hunt was executed very poorly, we got about 8 cabs stolen from under our noses. Anyway I spent a fair amount of time last night trying to get the fuck out of Brooklyn. I'll spare you the details but seriously MTA - what the fuck is up with the L train?

CIMG0250

CIMG0244

CIMG0244

CIMG0255

CIMG0244

CIMG0235

CIMG0241

CIMG0212

CIMG0212

CIMG0212

CIMG0212

CIMG0212

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails