Buzzed Bands Podcast, Ep. 2 w/ Cold Blood Club

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Yeah Yeah Yeahs At Bowery Ballroom

Last night marked concert number 6 in seven days. This was the last of the bunch and what a note to go out on. I arrived at the Bowery Ballroom around 9:45, I was under the impression the first (and only) opener went on at 9PM. So I was a bit surprised to see that no one was there yet and the stage wasn't even set up. I hung out downstairs on one of the couches for what seemed like an hour before the opener came on.

I can't remember who it was and I'm too damn lazy to go look it up but I wasn't impressed at all. So I stayed on my little couch and waited them out. While I was down there I was able to scope out the crowd. James Iha was there trying not to be noticed. I also saw the guy with the fro and the huge beard from TV On The Radio - I don't think he even attempts to go unnoticed at this point. I also saw this guy who was quite interesting looking - he was wearing a weird white turtle neck with a corduroy suit. He also had long hair and a huge Duane Allman 'stache, when he walked by he flipped his hair - it was hilarious. I think he was the secret gay Allman brother - Fabrizio Allman.

Ok, sorry - back to the show. After what seemed like forever, the opening band finished their set and I headed upstairs - beer in hand. I managed to snag a decent spot to the side of the stage, not too far from the front. There was an abundance of johnny-come-latelys who were trying to push there way towards the center. It was really fucking annoying and I barely resisted the urge to choke slam a few of them. Anyway, the YYYs took the stage and the crowd started cheering. (I just realized that was the first time I actually mentioned the YYYs)

Karen was totally out of control - she knows how to put on a good show. The new guy was kinda annoying, he looked like he didn't belong. He was "rocking out" a little too much, like he was trying to be a rock star or something. Nick is a skinny fucking freak but damn he can play guitar. I don't mean that in any sort of virtuoso way - he just plays huge. The drummer, whose name I don't know, is fucking sick. The fills he was playing were very unique - I never really noticed the drums before last night.

The show was great and the band managed to get to most of their hits. I have new respect for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs after this show. They definitely deserve the hype they've been getting building up to their new album. They are playing NYC again in May - I recommend you go.

Sorry, this review is half-assed - I'm tired and burned out from too many concerts. But I still got some decent pics.



METAL!


James Iha amongst the commoners







1 comment:

m said...

another review of the fantastic show up on the music slut!

www.themusicslut.org

Related Posts with Thumbnails