Buzzed Bands Podcast, Ep. 2 w/ Cold Blood Club

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

New York Dolls, Motherfucker!

Sunday night I braved the cold and headed to Avalon for Motherfucker to see the legendary New York Dolls. The band was scheduled to go on at 11:30 but of course that didn't happen. So I grabbed an overpriced beer and set up shop against the stage on the left side.

All the real photographers filled in the gap between the front of stage and the crowd. I wasn't front and center but I had a damn good spot that turned out to be better than I thought. Half way through the show the real photographers got thrown out from the front area and pushed to the left side of the stage. So it ended up being twenty photographers on the left corner all reaching over each other and fighting for a spot and just me on the right - nice.

Anyway, on to the show. It started out with a proper introduction - proper in the New York Dolls world meaning a huge drag-queen welcomed them to the stage. They came out and everyone immediately recognized David and Sylvain but who the fuck were the other guys? At least they looked the part, I saw earlier versions of the "comeback" band and they looked like a college bar band.

The band came out strong and were obviously having a good time. Sylvain was running around like he did a few bumps before the show. He did look a bit odd with his beer gut and sheer shirt. Actually, he kinda looked like a creepy Uncle Floyd - that's a reference for all the Jersey heads. David looked frail and was just kinda standing there for most of the set. He did seem to get a second wind about halfway through.

Towards the end Sylvain dedicated a song to the great Johnny Thunders - I forget which specific song it was. I found it a bit odd he only mentioned Johnny, you would think the other dead Dolls would get a shout out too. Around this time they played what I was waiting to hear - Trash and Jet Boy. These two classics are by far my favorite Doll tracks. Of course the place went apeshit on the opening riff.

Trash was a little off sounding - I can't put my finger on why but something wasn't right. It still was good though, it just seemed like it could have been a little tighter. Jet Boy (MP3) was just fucking ridiculus - better than I expected in fact. Soon after the set was over and the drag-queen and her friend reappeared. They talked some shit about being sluts and what not and then asked if we wanted another song. Of course the response was yes - to which the Dolls came out and did one more.

And that was that, one hell of a set by the Two York Dolls (get it because there's only two?.. sorry, I'm an ass).

Sylvain Sylvain

Buster... Sorry, I mean David Johansen














1 comment:

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Cool shots motherfucker!

Related Posts with Thumbnails